Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Foreskin's Lament: 8/10

The most blasphemously hilarious book I've ever read. I laughed on the plane. I laughed in the bath. And when I read it to my friends over Friday night dinner, we all laughed together.

Foreskin's Lament revolves around the mental, metaphysical jousting taking place between author and G-d. The highlight for me is the Blessing Bee contest, and in that sense it peaks in the first 20 pages. But Shalom Auslander is blessed with great penmanship, a wicked sense of humour and a deep-seated bitterness towards his parents, his religion and the Lord Himself. It can be repetitive in parts, but if he can keep his prose this disciplined, and recount tall tales as vividly as the ones he's experienced, then a rich, and long-lasting career beckons. Buy this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here